Welcome to Acme Blog Section – Architects of your digital strategy.
In this blog piece, I will go ahead and read upon GA (google analytics) users and their types, creation, and setup, along with different other important elements as per google analytics. We believe you are well versed with GA and considering that we are beginning from the below topics.
- Google analytics and its benefits – Google Analytics is a free web analytics service powered by Google that provides statistics and basic analytical tools for online media. With the help of GA, one can exactly find the number of visitors to your website, where they are coming from, which device they are using, which source they are coming from, time spends on the website, user exit pages from the website, Top events taken by the user, user funnel and much more. Here the user is a person who has visited your website and a session is a group of user interactions also known as “hits” with any website recorded in a given time frame.
- Different types of users tracked in Google analytics and its benefits – With the combination of GA and GTM (google tag manager) one can create an end number of tracking parameters. But for understanding and referral purposes we have added a few commonly well-known users list below:
|New users||A ‘new user’ is a visitor according to Google’s tracking codes, who has never been to your site before and is initiating the first session on your website.|
|Returning users||A ‘returning user’ is a visitor who has already visited your website in a stipulated timeframe and has initiated another session using the same browser and device.|
|Converted users||When any user takes the desired action placed on the website by marketers such as download, install, sign-up or purchase, etc are considered as converted users.|
|User Bucket Audience – Google Analytics||Google analytics randomly assigns scores from 1 to 100 buckets to each of the users visiting the website these users are only available in Google analytics and this list of users is called user basket audience|
Continuing to our main topic “User Bucket Audience” we will look further into the below points:
- Where to find “User Bucket Audience” in google analytics
- Categorizing “User Bucket Audience” in groups
- How to split “User Bucket Audience” group into different audience sets
- Testing audience sets under different campaign types.
Where to find “User Bucket Audience” in google analytics – As we spoke on the availability of audience said audience is only available on google analytics. Suggest below steps to find the User Bucket Audience.
- Log into your google analytics account
- Look for Acquisition
- Under acquisition click on All traffic, under the drop-down list look for channels
- Under channels add a secondary dimension and search for User Bucket and select
- Once we apply the source budget we could see the score chart assigned from 1-100 for different channels.
Categorizing “User Bucket Audience” in groups – Unfortunately, we do not have any system-based feature to shoot the scores into groups. However, we are going to share with you a manual process that we follow on our accounts.
- On the top corner of the tab above the date range, we could see features like Save, Export, Share, Edit and insights. Click on Export to download the sheet.
- Suggest exporting the file in google sheets or Excel format for easy access and formatting.
- Download the file with show rows up to 5000
- Suggest collecting data above 6 months to 1-year
- Once you download the file open the file, interest a manual column, and name it as the Grouped bucket shown in the screenshot below:
- Apply filter on user bucket, and group scores as follows
|1 – 10||11 – 20|
|21 – 30||31 – 40|
|41 – 50||51 – 60|
|61 – 70||71 – 80|
|81 – 90||91 – 100|
How to split “User Bucket Audience” group into different audience sets- Post creating the successful user bucket group apply and create pivot demo is shown below:
We could find that segment buckets between 81- 90, 1-10, 11-20 are best for our bottom-funnel.
Testing audience sets under different campaign types – Now will learn how this audience can be created and tested on ads under different ad networks.
- Creating User Bucket Audience in Google analytics
- Visit admin panel on google analytics
- Look for audience definitions and click on Audiences
- Under the audience, tab click the new audience the click on create new
- Under the audience builder, you could find several options: look for conditions and under conditions click on ad content, under the search menu search for user bucket and select.
- Now we are on the final step of audience creation, using drop-down with the combination of =,>,<, and others we could create the audience as per our preference.
Suggest testing the same under retargeting users, the similar audience of the created bucket will be automatically generated, and both the audience can be exported to google ads console to test under, display, youtube, discovery to target a precise set of audience.
Hope this blog was self-explanatory for the set process of “User Bucket Audience – Google Analytics”. Besides, if you find any difficulty, commenting on the comment section of the blog will help you.